Community Concerts in the Secret Garden
Community Concerts in the Secret Garden will benefit the nonprofit community and promote Durango’s talented music scene by featuring a different nonprofit and music talent on Wednesday evenings throughout the summer. This is a great opportunity for the selected nonprofits to invite volunteers and other friends of the organization to enjoy an outdoor concert in the heart of downtown Durango, educate new people about your organization, and — new this year — earn money to be used toward the costs associated with Jumpstart, an innovative, year-long development program with big potential. The remainder of the costs of the Jumpstart Program will be covered by grants from the Community Foundation serving Southwest Colorado and Network for Good. This is a grant opportunity that is worth $4,000 to each of the selected nonprofits.
Only nonprofits that have been selected to participate in the Community Concerts series in 2015, 2016 or 2017 are eligible to apply for the Community Concerts/Jumpstart grant opportunity this year.
The concert cover charge is a $10 donation to support nonprofits selected for the 2018 concert series. The cover charges from each concert will be pooled to support costs associated with the Jumpstart program.
Participating organizations must be a nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization.
2018 Concerts Schedule & Recipients
June 27 ~ Community Foundation serving SW CO ~ Lost Souls
July 4 ~ SASO ~ Cannondolls
July 11 ~ Durango Nature Studies ~ Lisa Blue Trio
July 18 ~ Women’s Resource Center ~ Music in the Mountain’s Julius Quartet Chamber in Residence
July 25 ~ iAM MUSIC ~ J-Calvin’s Funk Express
August 1 ~ Durango Education Foundation ~ La La Bones
August 8 ~ Mountain Studies Institute ~ Stillhouse Junkies
August 15 ~ Durango Adult Education Center ~ The Durango Orquesta de Salsa
August 22 ~ La Plata Youth Services ~ Lawn Chair Kings
August 29 ~ Durango Arts Center ~ Six Dollar String Band
THE ROCHESTER WILL:
- Provide an already established concert series to promote the nonprofit community.
- Staff a cash bar and grill for patrons, as well as set up and clean up.
- Serve as final approval of music booked.
CORPORATE SPONSORS WILL:
- Pay for graphic design and printing of postcards, bookmarks and posters.
- Pay for print and radio ad buys.
- Pay for hanging banner in downtown and at Santa Rita Park.
- Pay for music talent.
THE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION WILL:
- Create an online grant application and assist in the selection process.
- Provide a bank for each event.
- Handle back-office accounting, including remitting payments for bands, graphic design, and printing.
- Book music.
- Coordinate nonprofits.
- Communicate social media on Community Foundation site(s).
THE NONPROFITS WILL:
- Provide publicity for the entire concert series and for one assigned concert via print, PSAs, social media, and word of mouth.
- Have 2-4 staff or board members to collect a cover charge at the front and back gates during one assigned concert.
- Have 1-2 people to be at an information table to talk about your organization with a tip jar (tips from the evening are donations for the featured nonprofit).
- Attend an organization meeting for project coordination on Wednesday, May 30 at the Rochester.
- Commit to all the requirements of the year-long Jumpstart program.
- Application will open: Tuesday, January 2, 2018
- Town Hall Meeting about Jumpstart program: Wednesday, January 10, 2018
- Application will close: Friday, January 19, 2018
- Final organizations will be announced: Friday, January 26, 2018
- Jumpstart commitments: February 2018 – January 2019
- All-participant Concert Planning Meeting: Wednesday, May 30, 2018, 3 – 5 p.m. at the Rochester’s Secret Garden
- All-participant Concert Wrap-Up Meeting: Wednesday, September 19, 2018