The Community Foundation inspires hope, leadership and generosity in our community by bringing economic stability, professional development and collaboration to the nonprofit sector. As a community facilitator, we coordinate with nonprofit professionals throughout Colorado to provide opportunities that:
- Increase efficiency, sustainability and success for nonprofits in Southwest Colorado
- Build relationships and facilitate networking between nonprofit professionals
- Create opportunities for peer discussion around best practices
- Enhance relationships across county and geographic boundaries
Upcoming Professional Development Opportunities
Brown Bag: Advocacy Dos & Don’ts
April 12 | Window Room, Community Rec Center, Durango, CO
11:30am – 1:30pm
Cara Lawrence of Tierney Lawrence in Denver will share her knowledge regarding how nonprofits can share their passion in an advocacy role without stepping out of bounds.
Happy Hour with a Cause
April 24 | Carver Brewing Company
4:30pm – 6:00pm
Come to discuss strategies for successful advocacy for your organization and constituents with Renny Fagan, a former member of the legislature, Governor’s cabinet, and U.S. Senator’s staff.
2017 Durango Nonprofit Summit
April 25 | The Peaks Room, Community Rec Center, Durango, CO
9:00am – 4:00pm
Join Colorado Nonprofit Association for a one-day nonprofit summit. Leverage this opportunity to enhance your advocacy goals, governing relationships, and strategic plans. More information and registration here.
April 28 | Durango Public Library
9:00am – 4:00pm
$60 Full Training|Lunch Provided
This workshop is designed to increase the comfort level of nonprofit board and staff in managing nonprofit finances. The workshop addresses topics such as financial reports, the 990, and the auditing process. Register here.
Session 1: Reviewing Nonprofit Financial Statements
This session will benefit anyone looking to better understand how to interpret basic nonprofit financial statements or who just needs a refresher.
Session 2: The Value of the 990
Come find out why the 990 can be a valuable tool/asset for your organization and why it is worthwhile to spend the extra effort completing/reviewing this required IRS document.
Session 3: Choose from one below.
Nonprofit Taxation: Not an Oxymoron
This is an informative seminar about tax implications for nonprofits and donors. Information and real life examples are provided to help navigate such issues and in-kind contributions.
360 Look at an Audit
Learn when you need to do an audit, how to prepare for an audit, how to get ready for a site visit, understand the audit and management letter and create a schedule for the next audit.
Session 4: Ask the Experts Panel
This is your opportunity to ask clarifying questions about what you have learned today or any other finance questions you may have.
An Organization Fund is a long-term fund held and managed by the Community Foundation on behalf of a nonprofit organization. It provides consolidated investment management, speed, convenience, and guidance for donors. Donors always receive assurance money that will be managed into long-term. After discussions with the organization about objectives for the fund, we would recommend a financial goal.For more information on organization funds, please see our Organization Fund Fact Sheet.
Current Organization Funds
The Community Foundation serving Southwest Colorado supports the nonprofit community through various partnerships and initiatives as well as providing an opportunity for organizations who want to provide charitable services to their community.
Southwest Colorado Index
The Southwest Colorado Index is intended to assist nonprofits and funding entities across the region by accurately gauging the overall economic, social and environmental health of the communities in Archuleta, Dolores, La Plata, Montezuma and San Juan Counties (Region 9).
The separate reports of the Index, which are provided courtesy of community sponsors, can be found below.
Previously called the Pathways to Healthier Communities Indicator Report, the Index was first published by Operation Healthy Communities Inc. (OHC) in 1996. After OHC produced five editions of the Indicator Report in 2006, the Region 9 Economic Development District of Southwest Colorado took over publication.
- Board Source inspires and supports excellence in nonprofit governance, as well as board and staff leadership.
- Blue Avocado is the bimonthly newsletter of Amiercan Nonprofits, a membership organization that provides practical financial information and support to U.S. 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations, staff, stakeholders, and volunteers.
- The Colorado Nonprofit Association is the voice of Colorado’s nonprofit community, offering its members a variety of services and technical assistance on starting and managing nonprofit organizations.
- The Colorado Grants Guide is a comprehensive directory of funding sources published by Community Resource Center. For information, call (303) 623-1540 or visit CRC’s website.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Colorado Chapter enables people and organizations to practice effective fundraising through ethical standards, education resources, and networking.