Community Concerts in the Secret Garden
Our popular summer concert series at the Rochester Hotel is now in its sixth year! Our Community Concerts in the Secret Garden benefit the nonprofit community and promote Durango’s talented music scene by featuring a different nonprofit and music talent on Wednesday evenings throughout the summer. This is a great opportunity for the 10 selected nonprofits to invite volunteers and other friends of the organization to enjoy outdoor concerts in the heart of downtown Durango, educate new people about the organization, and earn important funds.
The cover charge for each concert is a $10 donation to support nonprofits selected for the 2020 concert series. The cover charges from each concert are pooled and shared with the 10 selected nonprofits. In 2019, each participating nonprofit earned $1,700 from the Community Concert Series.
In order to apply, organizations must be a nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization, or be a project or organization under the fiscal agency of a 501(c)(3) organization. Organizations must serve La Plata County. Prior recipient organizations are not eligible to apply again for three years (e.g. 2016 recipients will be eligible to apply in 2020; recipients from 2017, 2018 and 2019 are not eligible this year).
2020 Community Concerts will run Wednesdays, 5 – 7 PM, June 17 – August 19, at the Rochester’s Secret Garden. Bands will be selected in January.
- Application will open: March 2, 2020
- Application will close: March 27, 2020
- Final organizations will be announced: week of April 27, 2020
- All-participant Concert Planning Meeting: Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 3 – 5 p.m. at the Secret Garden
- All-participant Concert Wrap-Up Meeting and Grant Award: August 26, 2020, 12-1 p.m. at the Secret Garden
THE ROCHESTER WILL:
- Provide an already established concert series to promote the nonprofit community.
- Staff a cash bar and grill for patrons, as well as provide set up and clean up.
CORPORATE SPONSORS WILL:
- Pay for graphic design and printing of postcards, bookmarks and posters.
- Pay for print and radio ad buys.
- Pay for hanging banner in downtown and at Santa Rita Park.
- Pay for music talent.
THE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION WILL:
- Create an online grant application and assist in the selection process.
- Provide a bank for each event.
- Handle back-office accounting, including remitting payments for bands, graphic design, and printing.
- Book music.
- Coordinate nonprofits.
- Promote the concert series on Community Foundation social media sites.
THE NONPROFITS WILL:
- Provide publicity for the entire concert series and for one assigned concert via print, email, PSAs, social media, and word of mouth.
- Execute one assigned marketing task, per the concert promotion collaboration.
- Have 2-4 staff or board members to collect a cover charge at the front and back gates during one assigned concert.
- Have 1-2 people to be at an information table to talk about your organization with a tip jar (tips from the evening are donations for the featured nonprofit).
- Attend an organization meeting for project coordination on Wednesday, May 6 at the Rochester.
- Attend a wrap-up meeting after the concert series on Wednesday, August 26.