The Community Foundation inspires hope, leadership, and generosity in our community by bringing economic stability, professional development, and collaboration to the nonprofit sector. As a community facilitator, we coordinate with nonprofit professionals throughout Colorado to provide opportunities that:
- Increase efficiency, sustainability and success for nonprofits in Southwest Colorado
- Build relationships and facilitate networking between nonprofit professionals
- Create opportunities for peer discussion around best practices
Enhance relationships across county and geographic boundaries
Watch previously recorded “Something to Chew On” webinars below:
When: September 8 | 12:00 – 1:30 PM
What: Cash Flow Projections
Cash is your most important response and recovery tool. Join us for this Nonprofit Finance Fund webinar to teach you how to forecast the timing of cash in and cash out of your organization. Walk through a demonstration of the Nonprofit Finance Fund’s cash projecting tool. Includes a Q&A session with local financial experts and Community Foundation finance committee members.
Upcoming Professional Development
When: November 3 | 12:00 – 1:30 PM
What: Southwest Colorado Gives and Your Year-End Ask
Staff from the Community First Foundation will join us to discuss details for this year’s Gives Day, December 8. Novice and veteran Gives Day organizations will have something to learn! Discuss innovative, new video storytelling options, as well as nuts and bolts of the campaign. Also learn how Colorado Gives can be a resource for your organization year-round. Door prize!
Register in advance here:
When: November 17 | 12:00 – 1:30 PM
What: Don’t be a Zoom Zombie: Learn bells and whistles to host engaging and interactive virtual meetings and retreats
Are your board members, staff, program participants and donors getting Zoomed-out with the same old virtual environment? Nonprofit Consultant Sandhya Tillotson presents this participatory training to empower you to engage participants with fresh, innovative techniques and user-friendly virtual platforms for highly-effective and interactive meetings and events. DOOR PRIZE: Two participants will win a free one-hour consultation with Sandhya.
Register in advance here:
When: December 1 | 12:00 – 1:30 PM
What: Strategic Planning in Uncertain Times: Planning for tomorrow, while increasing responsiveness and relevance for today.
With uncertainty of COVID and other external factors, we may be tempted to throw our strategic plans out the window. How are organizations planning with so much up in the air? Nonprofit Consultant Sandhya Tillotson presents a participatory training to explore how to move past paralyzing inaction or suddenly outdated strategies, and to pivot quickly, while remaining true to our missions and core values as organizations. DOOR PRIZE: Two participants will win a free one-hour consultation with Sandhya.
Register in advance here:
When: December 15 | 12:00 – 1:30 PM
What: Nonprofit Board Development
Colorado Nonprofit Association’s Amber Cote presents a robust discussion of the roles and responsibilities of nonprofit boards. Examine board relationships with staff and recruitment & orientation in the midst of these unusual times. DOOR PRIZE: One participating organization will win a free, three-hour board training with Amber for your ED and Board Chair. Could also be included as part of an upcoming Board retreat.
Register in advance here:
(link coming soon)
Watch previously recorded sessions here.
The Community Foundation is a proud Regional Champion for ColoradoGives!
We have exciting things planned for 2020:
The Community Foundation will be offering participating regional nonprofits exciting enhancements in 2020, including the opportunity to connect with Community Foundation friends and fund holders. If you are currently participating in SWCOGIVES, or if your organization hopes to join this year, you won’t want to miss this exciting opportunity! What can you do now? Be sure to create a profile and/or make sure your profile is updated at www.coloradogives.org. The enrollment period runs March 1 – August 31, 2020.
What is ColoradoGives…and what is Colorado Gives Day?
ColoradoGives is a year-round online giving platform that makes it easy for donors to search for nonprofits and donate online. Hosted by the Community First Foundation in Arvada, CO, Colorado Gives features more than 2,500 Colorado nonprofit profiles.
Colorado Gives Day, scheduled for December 8, 2020, is an annual giving initiative that celebrates philanthropy statewide and inspires donors to “give where they live” through online donations. In 2019 $39.6 million was donated statewide in just one day, making Colorado Gives Day the state’s largest one-day giving event.
In our 5-county region, we have seen some incredible increases on Colorado Gives Day since 2016, with the introduction of our Regional Platform:
· Three times more participating nonprofits in SW CO (from 28 in 2016 to 87 in 2020)
· Almost double # of donors to SW CO nonprofits (from 473 in 2016 to 863 in 2019)
· More than double # of donations to SW CO nonprofits (from 734 in 2016 to 1,565 in 2019)
· More than double amount donated in our region (from $143,595 in 2016 to $295,283 in 2019)
What is the Community Foundation’s role as a Regional Champion?
As a Regional Champion, the Community Foundation leads the local effort to strengthen online giving in Southwest Colorado. The Community Foundation spearheaded a regional online platform (swcogives.org) specifically for Southwest Colorado, making it easier for donors to find nonprofits in our region and give locally.
Additionally, the Community Foundation coordinates marketing efforts to promote ColoradoGives and Colorado Gives Day, as well as provides support and professional development as local nonprofits build and plan their campaigns.
Why should my nonprofit participate in Colorado Gives?
Benefits of participating in ColoradoGives include:
- Access to an inexpensive online giving platform
- Inclusion in an additional Southwest Colorado platform, making it easier for donors to find your organization and donate online
- Collaboration with other Southwest Colorado nonprofits
- Local support and professional development opportunities
- Added visibility to your campaign through the Community Foundation’s marketing efforts
- Minimization of operational costs and staff time (Community First Foundation handles gift processing and receipts)
How do I get started with ColoradoGives?
1. Determine if your nonprofit is eligible by reviewing the ColoradoGives Eligibility Requirements
2. Enrollment for new nonprofits runs March through August. Complete and submit your ColoradoGives profile for review by August 31. (More info about the review process here)
3. If approved to participate, invest $100 with the Community Foundation for a ColoradoGives Regional Platform participation fee. The fee guarantees your nonprofit’s inclusion on swcogives.org. All fees will be pooled to coordinate a regional marketing campaign, for the benefit of all nonprofits on swcogives.org.
4. Attend Cohort meetings as necessary to ensure your organization’s success.
An Organization Fund is a long-term fund held and managed by the Community Foundation on behalf of a nonprofit organization. It provides consolidated investment management, speed, convenience, and guidance for donors. Donors always receive assurance that money will be managed into the long term. After discussions with the organization about objectives for the Fund, we would recommend a financial goal.
The Community Foundation serving Southwest Colorado supports the nonprofit community through various partnerships and initiatives, as well as provides an opportunity for certain organizations that want to provide charitable services to their community, but need additional support.
To learn more about Fiscal Sponsorship and the application process, please take a look at our Fiscal Sponsorship Packet.
Current Fiscal Sponsorships
- All Forward Adventures
- Bear Smart
- Café au Play
- Cancer Coalition of Southwest Colorado
- Community Health Action Coalition (CHAC)
- Daybreak Solar Project
- Dumpster Beautification Project
- New Face Productions
- Pine River Shares
- The Community Treehouse
Southwest Colorado Index
The Southwest Colorado Index is intended to assist nonprofits and funding entities across the region by accurately gauging the overall economic, social and environmental health of the communities in Archuleta, Dolores, La Plata, Montezuma and San Juan Counties (Region 9).
The separate reports of the Index, which are provided courtesy of community sponsors, can be found below. Nonprofits may find this information and data helpful in their grant writing.
Previously called the Pathways to Healthier Communities Indicator Report, the Index was first published by Operation Healthy Communities Inc. (OHC) in 1996. After OHC produced five editions of the Indicator Report in 2006, the Region 9 Economic Development District of Southwest Colorado took over publication.
- Board Source inspires and supports excellence in nonprofit governance, as well as board and staff leadership.
- Blue Avocado is the bimonthly newsletter of American Nonprofits, a membership organization that provides practical financial information and support to U.S. 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations, staff, stakeholders, and volunteers.
- The Colorado Nonprofit Association is the voice of Colorado’s nonprofit community, offering its members a variety of services and technical assistance on starting and managing nonprofit organizations. Click here to download CNA’s Principles & Practices.
- The Colorado Grants Guide is a comprehensive directory of funding sources published by the Community Resource Center. For information, call (303) 623-1540 or visit CRC’s website.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Colorado Chapter enables people and organizations to practice effective fundraising through ethical standards, education resources, and networking.
- Auditors used by Southwest Colorado nonprofits
- Thinking of starting a new nonprofit? Click here for some invaluable assessment tools from GrantSpace by Candid.