The Community Foundation inspires hope, leadership, and generosity in our community by bringing economic stability, professional development, and collaboration to the nonprofit sector. As a community facilitator, we coordinate with nonprofit professionals throughout Colorado to provide opportunities that:
- Increase efficiency, sustainability and success for nonprofits in Southwest Colorado
- Build relationships and facilitate networking between nonprofit professionals
- Create opportunities for peer discussion around best practices
- Enhance relationships across county and geographic boundaries
Upcoming Professional Development
Colorado Nonprofit Association Events | Durango & Cortez | March 3 & 4
Grant writing workshop for Archuleta County nonprofits | March 26
$15, includes lunch. Class is limited to 25 people March 26, 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM | Pagosa Springs Medical Center Board Room
Click here to register.
This training gives an overview of grant writing, teaches participants how to match their needs to funder priorities, highlights what should be included in each grant component, and provides tips and tricks for success. Topics include:
- Research and grants management
- The grant proposal, budget and attachments
- Getting a grip on goals, activities, objectives, and measurements of success
- Insider’s view: what happens after you submit your grant
- The reporting process
If you work for a nonprofit organization, city, county, or state government, a tribal organization, or a school or school district as a grant writer, you will benefit from this training!
Evaluation Training | April 29 | Durango
This training, coordinated by the Regional Leadership Committe of SWRPD, gives an overview of evaluation best practices to help your organization to grow with purpose. Rebecca Larson with OMNI Institute will present this valuable, affordable day-long workshop.
Click here to register.
The Community Foundation is a proud Regional Champion for ColoradoGives!
What is ColoradoGives…and what is Colorado Gives Day?
ColoradoGives is a year-round online giving platform that makes it easy for donors to search for nonprofits and donate online. Hosted by the Community First Foundation in Arvada, CO, Colorado Gives features more than 2,500 Colorado nonprofit profiles.
Colorado Gives Day, scheduled for December 10, 2019, is an annual giving initiative that celebrates philanthropy statewide and inspires donors to “give where they live” through online donations. In 2018 $35.1 million was donated statewide in just one day, making Colorado Gives Day the state’s largest one-day giving event.
In our 5-county region, we saw some incredible increases on Colorado Gives Day from 2016 to 2018 with the introduction of our Regional Platform:
· 139% increase in participating nonprofits (from 28 in 2016 to 67 in 2018)
· 84% increase in # of donors to SW CO nonprofits (from 473 in 2016 to 872 in 2018)
· 117% increase in # of donations to SW CO nonprofits (from 734 in 2016 to 1,592 in 2018)
· 88% increase in amount donated in our region (from $143,595 in 2016 to $270,611 in 2018)
What is the Community Foundation’s role as a Regional Champion?
As a Regional Champion, the Community Foundation leads the local effort to strengthen online giving in Southwest Colorado. The Community Foundation spearheaded a regional online platform (swcogives.org) specifically for Southwest Colorado, making it easier for donors to find nonprofits in our region and give locally.
Additionally, the Community Foundation coordinates marketing efforts to promote ColoradoGives and Colorado Gives Day, as well as provides support and professional development as local nonprofits build and plan their campaigns.
Why should my nonprofit participate in Colorado Gives?
Benefits of participating in ColoradoGives include:
- Access to an inexpensive online giving platform
- Inclusion in an additional Southwest Colorado platform, making it easier for donors to find your organization and donate online
- Collaboration with other Southwest Colorado nonprofits
- Local support and professional development opportunities
- Added visibility to your campaign through the Community Foundation’s marketing efforts
- Minimization of operational costs and staff time (Community First Foundation handles gift processing and receipts)
How do I get started with ColoradoGives?
1. Determine if your nonprofit is eligible by reviewing the ColoradoGives Eligibility Requirements
2. Enrollment for new nonprofits runs March through August. Complete and submit your ColoradoGives profile for review by August 31. (More info about the review process here)
3. If approved to participate, invest $100 with the Community Foundation for a ColoradoGives Regional Platform participation fee. The fee guarantees your nonprofit’s inclusion on swcogives.org. All fees will be pooled to coordinate a regional marketing campaign, for the benefit of all nonprofits on swcogives.org.
4. Attend Cohort meetings as necessary to ensure your organization’s success.
Upcoming Cohort Meetings for swcogives Participants:
Montezuma county Cohort | October 29 | 10 AM – 12 PM | Cortez Welcome Center
La Plata County Cohort | October 29 | 2:30 – 4:30 PM | TBK Bank Durango
Archuleta County Cohort | October 30 | 10 AM – 12 PM | 1st Southwest Bank Pagosa
An Organization Fund is a long-term fund held and managed by the Community Foundation on behalf of a nonprofit organization. It provides consolidated investment management, speed, convenience, and guidance for donors. Donors always receive assurance that money will be managed into the long term. After discussions with the organization about objectives for the Fund, we would recommend a financial goal.
The Community Foundation serving Southwest Colorado supports the nonprofit community through various partnerships and initiatives, as well as provides an opportunity for certain organizations that want to provide charitable services to their community, but need additional support.
To learn more about Fiscal Sponsorship and the application process, please take a look at our Fiscal Sponsorship Packet.
Current Fiscal Sponsorships
- All Forward Adventures
- Bear Smart
- Café au Play
- Cancer Coalition of Southwest Colorado
- Community Health Action Coalition (CHAC)
- Daybreak Solar Project
- Dumpster Beautification Project
- New Face Productions
- Pine River Shares
- The Community Treehouse
Southwest Colorado Index
The Southwest Colorado Index is intended to assist nonprofits and funding entities across the region by accurately gauging the overall economic, social and environmental health of the communities in Archuleta, Dolores, La Plata, Montezuma and San Juan Counties (Region 9).
The separate reports of the Index, which are provided courtesy of community sponsors, can be found below. Nonprofits may find this information and data helpful in their grant writing.
Previously called the Pathways to Healthier Communities Indicator Report, the Index was first published by Operation Healthy Communities Inc. (OHC) in 1996. After OHC produced five editions of the Indicator Report in 2006, the Region 9 Economic Development District of Southwest Colorado took over publication.
- Board Source inspires and supports excellence in nonprofit governance, as well as board and staff leadership.
- Blue Avocado is the bimonthly newsletter of American Nonprofits, a membership organization that provides practical financial information and support to U.S. 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations, staff, stakeholders, and volunteers.
- The Colorado Nonprofit Association is the voice of Colorado’s nonprofit community, offering its members a variety of services and technical assistance on starting and managing nonprofit organizations. Click here to download CNA’s Principles & Practices.
- The Colorado Grants Guide is a comprehensive directory of funding sources published by the Community Resource Center. For information, call (303) 623-1540 or visit CRC’s website.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), Colorado Chapter enables people and organizations to practice effective fundraising through ethical standards, education resources, and networking.
- Auditors used by Southwest Colorado nonprofits
- Thinking of starting a new nonprofit? Click here for some invaluable assessment tools from GrantSpace by Candid.